On the first unofficial day of free agency, the Seahawks suffered three expected losses and prepared to lose longtime stalwarts Earl Thomas and K.J. Wright.
But the biggest — maybe most unexpected — thing they learned: Bobby Wagner is going to cost a lot to keep beyond 2019. After Kwon Alexander and C.J. Mosley get paid this week, Wagner’s price is going to vault beyond $15 million a year.
Continue reading Will Seahawks want to pay Wagner?
Which would you rather the Seahawks have for $20 million: Frank Clark OR two other pass rushers and two draft picks?
That really could be the choice the Seahawks face right now, assuming Clark won’t settle for less than $20 million a year.
We previously pointed out the Seahawks have options that do not include Clark, and we also offered up realistic trade considerations. Add those together and the Hawks can basically pay two pass rushers for the price of a $20 million Clark while getting a couple of picks in a trade (a No. 2 in 2019 and a Day 2 pick in 2020).
Continue reading Seahawks’ choice: $20M Clark or four players?
With Frank Clark safely tagged, the Seahawks are back to even on their defensive front — two stars under contract. Now they need to find a third.
Keeping Clark was No. 1 on our offseason to-do list for Pete Carroll and John Schneider. No. 2: Get Clark and Jarran Reed some help.
The draft is stacked along the defensive line, but rookies cannot be counted on — Seattle’s last few drafts are proof of that. So the Hawks have to find a couple of veterans: a pass rusher to play opposite Clark and a run stopper to play next to Reed (maybe rotating with Poona Ford).
Continue reading Veteran D-linemen are the next priority
Earl Thomas apparently thinks he can get $15 million a year. But that’s pretty delusional, especially given the glut of good safeties in free agency this year.
Thomas got some big company on the safety market when the Giants decided against tagging star strong safety Landon Collins and Baltimore cut Eric Weddle. The safety class includes some excellent players: Thomas, Collins, Weddle, Tyrann Mathieu, Lamarcus Joyner, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Adrian Amos, Kenny Vaccaro.
Continue reading Thomas won’t get $15M, and Hawks won’t bid big for Collins, Weddle
Here are the key statements from John Schneider at the Combine today:
The GM expects Frank Clark to be a Seahawk but does not yet know whether he will end up using the franchise tag on him by Tuesday. (Or, if he does, he is not saying.)
Schneider has talked to Russell Wilson‘s agent, Mark Rodgers, about an extension, but that is not a priority at this stage of the offseason. Schneider also said he gets the impression Wilson wants to remain with the Seahawks. “I have no reason to believe otherwise — other than Internet rumors.”
Continue reading Schneider speaks at Combine
As the Combine begins, we’re just a few days from finding out where the Seahawks and Frank Clark stand.
Schneider surely will be meeting Clark’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, this week to continue talks that apparently started last summer/fall.
At the Combine on Wednesday morning, Schneider said, “Communication has been great. There’s a strong level of trust between the two of us.” Asked whether he would franchise him, the GM said, “Don’t know yet.”
Continue reading Clark countdown is on
Right after the Seahawks’ season ended prematurely, we put forth an offseason to-do list that included extending Frank Clark, improving the defensive line, addressing the future of right tackle, re-signing guards, deciding the fate of their linebackers, adding a vet safety and, of course, extending Russell Wilson.
Earlier this month, we also outlined the projected market for Seattle’s free agents — predicting the team would franchise Clark and keep at least one of the guards while probably/possibly losing Earl Thomas, K.J. Wright, Justin Coleman, Mike Davis and Shamar Stephen.
We also listed pass-rush options beyond Clark — as a No. 2 pass rusher should be Seattle’s top outside priority.
If the Seahawks wanted to, they could retain Clark and at least one guard; extend Wilson, Bobby Wagner and Jarran Reed; and still have around $20 million for other moves.
Here’s a detailed look at how Seattle could accomplish all of that:
Continue reading Hawks have roster flexibility: Here’s a detailed budget
Russell Wilson could be guaranteed $100 million and Frank Clark $50 million in new deals, according to contract expert Joel Corry, who also laid out the possible markets for several other Seahawks in a conversation with John Clayton on 710 ESPN.
Per Corry, Wilson figures to hit $35 million APY (as we projected) if he signs an extension this year, Clark will aim for $20 million (if not franchised at around $17 million), K.J. Wright could get more than $7 million, and D.J. Fluker, J.R. Sweezy and Justin Coleman all could merit around $5 million on the open market.
All of those amounts, except Wilson’s, would be more than the Seahawks are expected to be willing to pay. But the markets for Wright, the guards and Coleman might not hit those figures either, Corry acknowledged.
Continue reading Projected market for Hawks’ free agents
“Business is business so you gotta pay me.” — Frank Clark
The offseason has begun for all but two teams, and football is now in business mode — as Richard Sherman and Frank Clark tweeted recently.
It has been assumed that the Seahawks will keep Clark, their only legit outside pass rusher, via a contract extension or the franchise tag. Pete Carroll confirmed that thought in December when he told 710 ESPN, “He ain’t going anywhere. We aren’t losing him.”
But Carroll also admitted, “We’ve got to figure (the contract) out somehow. It’s a big issue.”
What if the issue is too big? What if John Schneider decides that Clark, who garnered 14 sacks while playing through a bunch of injuries in 2018, is not worth a long-term investment at $17 million APY or more? What if Schneider thinks he can get an equitable pass rusher for closer to $10 million? Or two rushers for the price of Clark?
Continue reading Pass-rush options aren’t limited to Clark
Quarterbacks were the topic of the day for Pete Carroll and John Schneider on Thursday. The gist of their individual messages: Colin Kaepernick still could be an option (don’t count on it), Russell Wilson’s contract is not a problem (it really isn’t) and Schneider feels like he has done a poor job of acquiring quarterbacks behind Wilson (he has).
In separate interviews, Carroll and Schneider were asked about the recent Kaepernick brouhaha, and both waved off the protest topic and gave lip-service answers about their level of interest.
Continue reading Topic of the day: Quarterbacks