Per their usual MO, the Seahawks have seen a lot more players leave than arrive in the first few days of the NFL year.
Despite their seemingly overwhelming losses (six top players), they still have filled about half of their roster needs, retaining three key players and adding three more.
Before Ed Dickson and Jaron Brown were signed Friday, they had about $14 million in cap space for free agents. They still need starter-level players at corner, guard and running back, plus a pass-rushing defensive tackle.
Here’s what’s happening with each position:
Continue reading What does the roster look like now?
You can excuse Richard Sherman for being a little bitter about being unceremoniously dumped last week. Most of us agree with him, if only because Seattle eschewed an opportunity to get value for him (in 2016, now or later).
In an interview with freshly retired NFL star Joe Thomas on the “ThomaHawk” podcast, Sherman sounded off about his departure from Seattle — giving some very candid comments about Pete Carroll and John Schneider (quotes via Bob Condotta).
Because Sherman is a bit displeased, we have to take some of his comments with a grain of salt. But there are plenty of grains of truth, too.
Let’s sift through them …
Continue reading Sherman’s comments contain grains of salt and truth
The Seahawks are working hard to refortify their defensive line. And it looks like it might all hinge on what they think of Ndamukong Suh.
Seattle secured four linemen Wednesday, retaining Dion Jordan, Quinton Jefferson and Branden Jackson on tenders and adding Barkevious Mingo, who is expected to fill Bruce Irvin’s old role as a linebacker and pass rusher. The team also set up a visit with defensive tackle Quinton Dial.
But the Seahawks are after bigger fish, if they can get one. The D-tackle market has been relatively slow to move, and the Seahawks obviously hope to take advantage of that as they talk with Suh and Sheldon Richardson.
Continue reading D-line focus: Suh or Richardson?
“A bit of mismanagement. Drafting not as great as it was in the first couple years. Guys getting paid.” — Richard Sherman, on the mistakes that led to his release.
Once upon a time, John Schneider was as proactive as NFL general managers come. He was relentless in his pursuit of Marshawn Lynch in 2010. He bolstered an already stout defense with both Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett in 2013, when he also made the audacious trade for Percy Harvin. He retained Seattle’s top players with big deals from 2013 to 2015. He made another daring strike with the Max Unger/Jimmy Graham trade in 2015.
Not all of those bold moves worked out, but he was aggressive and unconventional — trying to keep Seattle ahead of the curve. Added to his historic 2010-12 drafts, those early moves for Lynch, Avril and Bennett helped put Seattle in two Super Bowls.
But, little has gone right for Schneider since 2013. His past five drafts have been underwhelming or worse, his big trades have not worked out and he has found himself playing from behind and trying to dig out of holes caused by injuries, coaching mistakes and his own errors.
Continue reading Schneider looks worse with every move; can he reverse course?
Richard Sherman apparently gave the Seahawks a second chance, but John Schneider declined to match the 49ers’ offer.
When Schneider cut Sherman on Friday, he asked him to let Seattle try to match any offer, according to SI.com’s Peter King. When Sherman called Saturday with his incentive-laden offer from the 49ers, Schneider told him, “Incentives (are) a little rich for me.”
Seattle wasn’t the only team to decline. Sherman called Oakland and Detroit, and both turned down the deal.
Continue reading Report: Schneider declined to match 49ers’ offer to Sherman
Richard Sherman is gone because John Schneider has drafted poorly and paid too many guys, not because Sherman can’t play anymore.
That’s what the All-Pro cornerback told Gee Scott of KIRO FM — and not many people are going to disagree.
Continue reading Why is Sherman gone? ‘Mismanagement’
A lot of fans seem to be misconstruing Richard Sherman’s quotes to various reporters about possibly returning to the Seahawks.
The essence of every quote was this: The Seahawks let him go so they could gain his $11 million in cap space but are open to him returning at a reduced rate. In his initial comments to those reporters, Sherman said nothing about wanting to come back.
His most extensive comments were to Gee Scott of KIRO Radio: “We’ve had conversations and they’ve told me that they’re going to allow me to go into free agency. But they want me to understand that the door’s open for me to return. They’re just trying to do what they need to do to clear up space and give me and them the best chance at free agency, and I’ve got to appreciate and respect that.”
He said variations of that to several national reporters:
Continue reading ‘Door’s open,’ but Sherman said nothing about returning